Sometimes I feel like I'm guilty of promoting the thought that there can only be one successful female music superstar at time. A decade ago you had Mariah, Whitney, Janet, Madonna, Celine, Toni, Brandy, etc all out at the same time, all with #1 singles, all with multi-platinum albums because everyone bought something different and there was room for EVERYBODY. So this week we're going to promote ladies who I may have been a little hard on. Instead of being a hater I'm going to do something for the advancement of colored people (and next week we will resume hating on people). I'm going to tell you a little about them and why you should buy their CDs, DVDs, cassette tapes, Girl Scout Cookies, or whatever it is they're trying to sell you. Whether or not you buy it is on you , but after today you can NEVER accuse me of not promoting other artists.
Let's start with our first artist of the day.
Let's say you're attractive, smart, good personality, but you're going through a bad period in your life, your self-esteem is low, your spirits are down, so you begin a relationship with the 1st person that comes along because you don't think you can do any better.
This is how Ashanti became famous. The year was 2002. Aaliyah had died, Left Eye had died, TLC was breaking up, all of
Then Beyonce comes along.
You know what happened next.
6 years and 2 forgettable albums later Ashanti has a 3rd album that's not doing a lot better.
So now you're stuck with this Ashanti. She seems nice enough. You don't want to hurt her feelings. You like her... just not like that... You love her... you're just not "in love" with her.
Ashanti, can't we just be friends?
So today I present to you:
5 Reasons Why You Should Buy "The Declaration"
1. "Good, Good" is your ringtone. I know it. You know it. Just admit it...
2. SHE'S REALLY, REALLY, TRYING. I think she knows it's strike 3 and you're out and she's really putting up a fight. Her live performance skills have improved. Granted, a 12-piece band, 10 dancers, and elaborate sets are NOT in her budget, but at least she shows her personality in her performance, and she's even started incorporating her lower body.
3. SHE HAS NOTHING ELSE TO DO: All of the kids out of school for the summer have taken the good part-time jobs.
4. SHE'S AN AROUND THE WAY GIRL - Ashanti seems nice and approachable. She's seems like a cool chick. Kids these days think they know celebrities from just a couple of interviews and that celebrities owe them more just entertainment. They think celebrities want to be their friends. HAHAHAHA. I'm not paying you to be my friend...I'm paying you to entertain me... so ENTERTAIN ME! But in the minds of some fans having a down-to-earth or cool personality can really make up for lack of talent.
5. It's really not that bad of an album, and you know you've spent money on worse.
Here's the link to buy it on Amazon. Here's the iTunes link.
I'm not saying you have to buy it, but if Ashanti is not back in the Top 50 next week I'm going to register on all Beyonce message boards and hate on the ugly people. And please don't think I won't do it, you know how childish I am.
Also today, you're not allowed to comment on this post unless you say something positive about Ashanti. The
I've done my part.
It's your decision.
But don't say I didn't try.