Simply Deep

WARNING! This topic has a lot of words. I tried to make it short as possible, but if reading is not fundamental to you then do not scroll down. If you're from BeyonceWorld you shouldn't scroll down because I say a few nice things about people other than Beyonce and I know how much you people hate that. Click that red x at the top of your screen, and don't come back. Fuck you very much.






----------------------------------------------------------------

"I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars
they criticize me for it; but they all yell 'holla!"

---Jay-Z


First, let me start by saying that I don't need a scientific study to tell me that Beyonce fans are dumb. I told you that 2 years ago. That's not to say that ALL Beyonce fans are dumb. I am a fan Sasha Fierce Support Representative, and I think I'm kinda smart sometimes. I can spell my name and I can read real good. I got a 1220 out of a 1600 on my SAT. I went to a summer camp for gifted kids. I have many leatherbound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. I didn't finish college, but it has nothing to do with intelligence and certainly not with Beyonce. I grew up with the expectation that if you're smart, you go to college, and if you go to college, you get a good job, and somehow through hard work and gumption you become Bill Gates. Well I learned that in real life it doesn't always work that way. I learned that my intelligence and my life were not to be defined by what I was supposed to be doing, or what people expected me to do, but rather my experiences and my choices. I had to learn the difference between being educated and being intelligent. And while you can educate a person, you can't make a person intelligent. Intelligence, in my opinion, is something you either have or you don't.

Because of that I was slightly offended at the thought that the kind of music I listen to is somehow related to how smart I am. I have always felt that our taste in music says more about our moods and our life experiences than it does about our actual intelligence. Music is very important to me, but the music I listen to may or may not paint the most complete picture of the person I truly am.

For example, my brother will shoot everybody in the comment section, but if you go to his Myspace page the song playing is "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers. The reason why is because he's going through a breakup (his girlfriend came and took all her shit, she took the TV too, even told him the baby wasn't his. It was quite a comedic and Colored spectacle.) My brother's song choice was not influenced by his intelligence or his need to adhere the common perception of what a "thug" is supposed to listen to, but rather by his current life experience. His heart is broken. He hurts. That is the song that expresses that. Music can inspire and uplift your life but there has to be a life already there.

I guess this is the part of the show where I start naming a list of artists that I listen to show you how deep and eclectic I am. Let's go through my iPod. These are the most played songs on my iPod. You probably assumed that Beyonce would be in all the slots. You may see Beyonce a few times. You may see a couple of songs from Beyonceitis victims. You may even see songs from your co-worker at Target:

Photobucket

To me this playlist doesn't say that I'm "smart" or "dumb". It says that I am a little different. I didn't do what the fast "girls" do. It says that I've had my heart broken, but I still believe in love and all that it can do for you. It says that I like synthesizers and thick vocal arrangements. It says "Imma buy you a drank and take you home with me, but no I don't want your number, and no I don't wanna give you mine, and I bet you want the goodies, I bet you thought about it, but if liked it you shoulda put a ring on it, but if you don't want me then don't don't talk to me because I can have another you in a minute because the milkshake still bring 'em to the yard...damn right it's better than yours."

All of these artists and genres co-exist in my iPod with no problem. The only issues I have is when I put my iPod on shuffle and a Kirk Franklin song comes on, and when it goes off the next thing I hear is "All you ladies pop your pussy like this". So I made a separate playlist for my gospel and spiritual songs. I think King Jesus likes it better that way.

But I digress...

I'm writing today not just because of the scientific study, but because of the fact that it brings up an age-old Beyonce argument: "smart" versus "dumb" "real" versus "fake". "deep" versus "shallow", and the fact I may have lost a friend over the "Video Phone" song. Yes, Beyonce's 'Video Phone" has ended one of my friendships. First of all let me just say I don't like or dislike "Video Phone".To me it's a catchy little ditty. Nothing more. Nothing less. But it sparked a heated conversation, which went something like this:

Friend: Why is she talking about stripping over a cell phone? That's not her life. It's just not necessary. Why does she feel the need to dumb things down?

Me: I mean it's just a song...what about the "I Am..." side of the album? You said liked those songs right?

Friend: Yes, but that's just a marketing gimmick.

Me: So let me get this straight. If Beyonce tries to produce a hit then she's "dumbing it down". If she tries to sing a song which may actually speak to her life then it's just a marketing gimmick. So she's either dumbing it down or a marketing gimmick?

Friend: Why can't she just sing songs that are true to her life?

Me: If she sang songs that pertained directly to her life then it would an album about her growing up in upper middle class Houston, TX, and the fact that she has more money than all of us put together, and that she never even saw a man's tenders before she saw Jay-Z naked. That would be kinda boring don't you think? She rides a Maybach but a lot of her fans take the bus to work. Why not speak to the people who buy her music, not as a superstar, but as a person, regardless of whether it comes directly from her life or not, why not produce music that regular people can relate to? Why do you focus on a song about stripping over a video phone? Why not focus on the song where she says that any man worth your time should want to be a committed relationship with you. Or the song where she says that whether or not you have a man or not you should still be your own best friend?

Friend: Because it's not real.


(sigh)

Because I don't think it's possible to form an accurate opinion of a person's intelligence or their life by the music they listen to, I can't possibly form an completely accurate opinion of a person's life or intelligence by the music they produce.

To better understand this, let's take a page from that great Negro poet Clifford Harris. Here's an excerpt from an interview he did with VIBE magazine in August 2007.

VIBE: People look to you to lead. Do you feel like you are in a position to talk about things of substance? Would you?

T.I.: I don't know how much more in my business people want to be. I don't know how much more in my business I want people to be. I heard from Diana Ross that you gotta save some from yourself. I couldn't argue with her. There are so many people to accommodate...


When the interviewer asked him about "T.I. vs. T.I.P." being a "commercial" album T.I. responded:

"Hopefully we'll get more Chevy commercials out of it. This is a business. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. Some of my best songs most of my fans have never even heard. For your own self-gratification you make the songs you want to make around those other songs..."

To put that in Sasha Fierce terms, for every "Halo", Beyonce does a "Diva", for every "Me, Myself, and I" she must do a "Check On It".

T.I. said he refuses to "cut off his nose to spite his face". Bringing that back into Sasha Fierce terms, Beyonce COULD do an album full of "Halos" or "Me, Myself, and I's" to quiet the critics (and her fans) who question her artistic integrity, but let's just be truthful, critical acclaim does NOT pay the bills (try and take a good review to the leasing office on the 15th and see how long you stay in your apartment). She could also make an album of "Check On Its and "Divas" a bunch of trendy, club-banger, made-for-iTunes, ringtone-ready songs, but that's clearly not what she wants to do, and you must ask yourself as a stan of whatever artist you stan for: Would rather that artist succeed at doing music they don't want to do or flop with an album doing exactly what they wanted to do?

People complain about the "shallowness" of music today. Music ain't like it was "back in the day". Well part of the reason is that music is not received the way it was "back in the day". No matter how "deep" any of us think we are, we still look at music more than we listen to it. Erykah Badu said something really powerful that spoke on this issue, she said: "I discovered I'm in a world full of personality worshippers: People aren't looking for a savior. They're looking for someone who looks like one."

She was speaking on this preconceived notion about how a "real" artist is supposed look, act, dress, and sound. Over 10 years ago, right after her first album had dropped and some of her fans were upset that her dreads were actually extensions. I mean a "real" artist has "real" hair... right?

I guess Erykah longs for a world where we could listen to music free from our preconceived notions about what "real music" is supposed to look like and how "real music" is supposed to be expressed. And she's right about us living in a world full of personality worshippers. When I ask you who your favorite artist is, I am not asking, who is the most best singer, the best dancer, or even who's the most naturally talented, what I am asking is if you were famous which one of these tricks would you like to be? Who would you most like to be friends with? Perhaps if we lived in a world where we judged Erykah's music based on the content instead of what is under her head wrap, or how she conducts her personal life, we could kill this "real" versus "fake" argument once and for all.

I've grown tired of the misuse of the words "real" and "deep". To me "real' is whatever applies to you at that particular moment. If your heart is broken and you need 'Irreplaceable" to pull you out of it then that's real for you. If you need a little self-esteem boost and want to listen to "Diva" that's real for you. If you want to bend over in front a bathroom mirror and send the pictures to your boyfriend then "Video Phone" may be the realest shit ever created. I can't say which one of these songs will go down in history as classics because classic means that it withstands the test of time, and in order for me to know that would mean that I have a time machine which can see into the future. I don't, and I'm willing to guess that you don't either. Not all current classics were deemed classics out of the gate. Not everything mainstream is bad, and not everything underground is good. It simply boils down to what speaks to you at that particular time.

In trying to make Beyonce "real' we may be trying to make her something she's not. and maybe it wasn't just a smart "marketing gimmick" to split her album in half. Maybe Beyonce realized that people's lives are not so simple that one artist, one song, one album, or one style is going to say everything we want to hear ALL the time. That's why we can pull a little bit from everybody. The great thing about it is that if Beyonce isn't saying what I want to hear, maybe Alicia is, and if she doesn't have the words, maybe Keyshia does, or Erykah, or Kanye, Rihanna, or Keri, or Solange. The great thing about life and iPods is that there's more than enough space for variety. Not one artist can be all things to all people no matter how multi-talented they are. There are many of different people with many different life experiences, and many different songs to go along with it.

Maybe Beyonce has heard the "real" versus "fake" argument a thousand times and in spite of it she still sings about swinging her thong around on her video phone, or about her kitty kat, or about how much of a diva she is. Despite all the pressure and the criticism, she makes exactly the kind of music she wants to make, how she wants to make it, when she wants to make it. Isn't that what a "real" artist would do?


65 comments:

bryterfly_rr said...

jaysky_27 said...

First!lol

Anonymous said...

after that brilliant and deeply thought out piece, all you can say is 1st? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and choose to believe you didn't read it yet. there was a warning about all the words but this post probably has exceeded you word limit so... w/e

Anonymous said...

@anonymous

Yeah I havent read it yet, just got really excited that theres new post, actually im still not done reading, kinda slow, sorry

Jaska said...

No you don't have "Be Alone Tonight"! We soulmates! Ok lemme go read the rest.

Anonymous said...

Well written. Listen to whatever you want to listen to.

It'sJustTheInternetSilly said...

*golf claps*

I really wish everyone in the world could be so logical and open-minded...then again if they were we couldn't appreciate when posts like this emerge. People take music too far. I hate hearing about "real" versus "fake". I always thought there was what I like and what I didn't like.
I actually ignored that study because I felt it was both biased and poorly executed.
Also, I love how you can break things down and make me laugh. Thank you

P.S.: Your most played made me smile but how is "I Decided Part II" above "I Decided" in play count?! haha Also, I think you'd enjoy Jaguar Wright.

The commenter formerly known as wigcryptcreeper (lol)

Deon said...

"Beyonce COULD do an album full of "Halos" or "Me, Myself, and I's" to quiet the critics (and her fans) who question her artistic integrity, but let's just be truthful, critical acclaim does NOT pay the bills (try and take a good review to the leasing office on the 15th and see how long you stay in your apartment)."
I screamed, gasped, and called for more air. YES! I mean the beginning of that is so enlightening, and then you do just what Beyonce does and put a joke there, so people that did read this far would actually keep going.

You're brilliant. This is one of my favorites.

morgana said...

PREACH! AND LET THE CHUCH(yep, chuch) SAY AMEN.

lildrummerboi said...

All I can say is, "Yassss..." (Don't judge me!)

Anyways, you already know you the "ish" and that your post are usually so well formulated that it speaks for many us "Representatives".

I especially agree with you on the matter of being able to educate someone and them still lacking intelligence. Having knowledge is one thing but if one can't apply it then they're left at simply being "educated"...IMO

Anonymous said...

amazing read! you remind me so much of myself....and yes i too am a sasha fierce support representative! lol...love you

White House of Dereon said...

My favorite piece was the idea of being educated vs. intelligent; Nice Kelly Rowland reference as well. The fact that you listen to 'Why Should I be Sad?' lets me know that we are on the same page.

Ariel_V said...

(Stands up and claps)

there's nothing else that needs to be said.

Anonymous said...

Why you gotta be the TRUTH and so damn TALENTED??!! HUH?! Tell me why!!! LOL! Loved this post...every long ass paragraph!!

Tootie said...

That was a great read! thanks for updating.. and also, happy early b-day...i wasnt sure of the exact date :)

H.C said...

that was absolutly amazing!! I honestly have tears in my eyes!! every little word in this post is the absolute true! I think a lot of people need to read ur blog bc you undrestand Beyonce the most, I am def gonna check the music you have there that I don't know about, it looks like our Ipods have a lot in common tough! & we have a lot of things in common I think the same way as you, thank you so much for making this blog, for these posts & for telling it like it is! you are truly talented! god bless you!! thank you

Anonymous said...

First of all, as always, great read.
Anyone with an IQ over 100 knows this “study” is bogus and highly flawed. It is like saying all blind people are fast runner…it makes no sense. The fool who did this study looked at SAT scores only to come to his conclusion. If anything his study should have told him that inner city schools score low on SAT. The reasons for this are so many to list. Funding, Unqualified teachers, lack of parent participation but it all comes down to socio -economy status. You would think someone who does a research would know this. The majority of people who attend inner city schools are minorities. And minorities listen to black music. Therefore this dumb ass, concludes people who listen to black music are dumb. His chart has. Rap, RnB, hip hop all at the bottom toll. He had the nerve to list JAYZ on the dumb list. Are you kidding me? JAY? Anyhow, I say all of this to say, I agree with you. I love B and i listen to her all the time along with anything from Erick Clapton, to Billie Holiday.. good music is good music.

Jaz said...

i agree, not everything mainstream is bad, and not everything underground is good.


nice post. i get in different moods for different songs and dingers all the time and like you said ..

"If your heart is broken and you need 'Irreplaceable" to pull you out of it then that's real for you. If you need a little self-esteem boost and want to listen to "Diva" that's real for you. If you want to bend over in front a bathroom mirror and send the pictures to your boyfriend then "Video Phone" may be the realest shit ever created."

LOL

Asimo said...

straight on up! i agreed with everything you said because you preach the truth.

really, all i could say after reading this, 'amen'

well done

reppin' from the UK!

Anonymous said...

Great Post!

Although I was really disappointed when I clicked that link (you know which one), I was ready for some good trash fun!!!

"I dont wanna be alooone toniiiighht"!!! Haha...the best!

mmj said...

Somebody give dis bitch a Grammy-Oscar-Emmy-Pulitzer-Medallion key


the next barack obama of blogging people
live it, love it, masturbate to it

Anonymous said...

*Tears* you make me wanna conduct a search party to find you so I can marry your ass!

You need your own professional blog I would visit everyday! You have a natural God-given gift and you can make a whole lot of money off it!

Anonymous said...

Someone above said that 'you remind me alot of myself.' I'm thinking the exact same thing. I too am a Sasha Support Representative...but I love all sorts of music and to look at my ipod is a good reflection of where I am at this point in my life. I saw that STUPID study about how Beyonce fans are dumb a few days ago and could not believe that such crap would be published. Keep up the great work. ;-)

melissa said...

People are so dumb, songs are just songs. Rihanna talkin' 'bout "Take A Bow" and she's still with a man that punched her.
Beyonce saying, "Let's go little Kitty Kat" and her and her kitty kat ain't go no where.

Anonymous said...

this has to be one of the most enlightening posts that i have read from a blog in a while

Dédalo said...

R&B/Rap HOLY SH$T! That's really eclectic...

Anonymous said...

I'ma keep it simple and short: ONE OF THE BEST [IF NOT THE BEST] ENTRIES I'VE READ ON HERE!..

very insightful and straight to the point... it was refreshing and honest and very relative...

[[damn it sounds like i'm reviewing a book from oprah's book club!]]

Anonymous said...

like all your other posts loved it and I know ery one has already said it that but you are the TRUTH.

Anonymous said...

New layout reminds me of Lumber Liquidators or something! Also the header is too big (beautiful picture though). I know blogs are usually vertical, long and require scrolling and your content is fantastic but the user experience should be a priority as well. Just some constructive feedback. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure if Beyonceitis is done with the new layout yet but I liked the old one better maybe it's just me because I like dark colors! it doesn't matter anyway I don't really care what matter is what's written in the posts,but the new pic & the title are "fierce" & all I want is the links to the : what is overexposed & what's beyonceitis & what's a hater... posts, I read theme very often.

Anonymous said...

This post is a testimony to the fact that some of us have become so self-righteous and one dimensional. Criticism exists only to knock people down a peg or too.

Love the Jay Z quote. Dumbing Down makes artists money and the so called smart audiences and eclectic ones just need to shut the hell up about commercialism and sameness...when you put out the commercial stuff you earn enough money to put out the artistry that's really real...

Jay Z put out Rihanna but he also put out Chrisette Michelle and put the Roots on his former record label. Sometimes we just lack dimension and business understanding because we're just jealous that we don't have the cajones to do things ourselves. Kanye may be commercial but he also put out John Legend and resurged Common's career. My point is that there's will always be a commercial and superficial side to life.

*Rant Over* and Great Post.

ILoveBeyoncéAndLiterature said...

Great lecture as usual. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

This was wonderful, and not a long read if you were interested. I know this took a while for you to write. It is put together well, and really lets you think.

The end really does it for me...

You need to write for magazines...pure intelligence..

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that I'm sorry to hear that you lost a friend...

I know how it is to not want to be friends with dumb ass people..LOL..LOve you!

MJ said...

A very well thought out and to the point post. You're right by the the iPod thing too. The whole point of the things is to put your stuff you like on there. I like rnb, hip hop, pop, rock, anything that feels good to me. Music is an expression of one's self.

Anonymous said...

Simply awesome. Standing ovation. Really brilliant, fantastic post. And I'm not going to lie and say you remind me of myself, because you don't--I'm not as clever as you.

This is coming from a Janet Representative... everything said here about Sasha is true. She makes what she wants to make, whether you like it or not. I think Janet is the same way. Unfortunately I haven't been too impressed with either of their 2008 albums but I'll make do.

Wig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

"Despite all the pressure and the criticism, she makes exactly the kind of music she wants to make, how she wants to make it, when she wants to make it. Isn't that what a "real" artist would do?"

A real artist it's coherent. I can see from what your friend is coming, even tho. i don't agree with him just like you.

When i talk about being coherent i talk about how she doesn't have a connection with her work. You can see on her interviews, on what she says about her values and perception about life that it simply don't matches with most of what she does.

She is vague when she has the chance to talk about who she is or what she wants as an artist, therefore her work is filled with cliches and her acts can't stand for itself. People will always find it tasteless and dull when the fun of the moment comes to a end.

Her work just don't say so much, isn't meaningful and i don't mean "deep". Even Video-Phone would have a meaning if it had a point, a reason.

I don't saying she needs to live what she's singing but since she had a clear position about what the hell she's talking about in a song, or what the fuck she wants to show to people being Sasha Fierce, then she would be coherent and her work more consistent.

Hadley Street Neighborhood Watch said...

""Despite all the pressure and the criticism, she makes exactly the kind of music she wants to make, how she wants to make it, when she wants to make it. Isn't that what a "real" artist would do?"

A real artist it's coherent. I can see from what your friend is coming, even tho. i don't agree with him just like you.

When i talk about being coherent i talk about how she doesn't have a connection with her work. You can see on her interviews, on what she says about her values and perception about life that it simply don't matches with most of what she does.

She is vague when she has the chance to talk about who she is or what she wants as an artist, therefore her work is filled with cliches and her acts can't stand for itself. People will always find it tasteless and dull when the fun of the moment comes to a end.

Her work just don't say so much, isn't meaningful and i don't mean "deep". Even Video-Phone would have a meaning if it had a point, a reason.

I don't saying she needs to live what she's singing but since she had a clear position about what the hell she's talking about in a song, or what the fuck she wants to show to people being Sasha Fierce, then she would be coherent and her work more consistent."
----------------------------

I respect your opinion, I just don't see how it addresses anything I didn't already address in the entry, or how any of your points are not addressed by anything I said in the entry, or anything I haven't already said (repeatedly) in the 60 other entries.

Fletcher's Old Lady said...

I got one thing to say:

You make the stans wiser because you are wise with words and a philosopher of sorts. I've never heard the education vs intelligence argument, but now I will recite it 'til I'm in my grave.

---

A whole damn post of nothing but real talk shit and didn't hate on not a damn body... You make me wanna strip down to my skivvies and jump some random man's bones. Don't judge me, ho!

Anonymous said...

@1:44 AM
1.Beyoncé didnt write all the songs on the albums;she co-write it ;means she was there and approved the lyrics so it's not about her life but many songwriters's experiences.

2.Beyoncé make music not for herself but other people:the public.
if she always talks about the fact that she is crazy in love,dangerously in love,...Maybe it's true for her but not for all the listeners.if she didnt have a broken hearted girl,she can sing for the BHGirls out there,NOT?

3-What susbtencial meaning in Grammy winner 2008 song of the year winner by A.whinehouse REHAB?
i cant see it!
Let beyoncé say what she has to say with the more comfortable words for her.

4.Beyoncé has made 3 solo albums,4 for with the DC.I think she uses all the topics possible to use:let her talk about videophone after bills if she want.

5.DEEP?
of course it's not deep,videophone is on the SASHA FIERCE CD,take a song from the IAM CD and tell me than it's not deep pffff!

Anonymous said...

i love the post;not my favorite but i really like it !
i love your blog because it's the first blog to have a content,not just pictures and comment section.You really write what you have on the heart and you inspires me for my blog.

Like i said before;i just want beyoncé to do want she really want to do.If you are to concentrated on album sells,image,fans desires;you'll lost the envy to make music.
Beyoncé's first album was full of ballads But the Most played song was CIL,a up-tempo :-o
Beyoncé second album was full of up-tempo and the most played song was irrepleceable,a ballad. :-o
All i have to say is :
BEYONCE FOLLOWS YOUR INSTINCT !

jaz said...

anyone notice that all the sasha fierce singles are higher on the charts than the i am songs? beyonce wants to be deep and leave memorable "classic" music but all people want to hear is shallow songs. we cant blame that on anyone but ourselves. if i were a boy was such a good song too. but it was quickly forgotten.

and i bet when she releases the next 2 singles ego and broken hearted girl no one is going to care about broken hearted girl either, just ego.

Anonymous said...

*Dead* at "Fuck you very much" and "tenders", wish I could say the former at work.

Anonymous said...

@ 3:14 PM that's because what most people want from beyonce are uptempos and club bangers . i don't really like ballads and love songs , so i didn't care at all for the I AM... part of her double disc , i understand perfectly that she wants to do these kind of songs , especially after having to perform for Obama , she realised that none of her "classics" were ballads and singing Baby Boy or Kitty Cat at the inauguration would've been inapropriate , She wants her own At Last ! DIL , Listen , Me Myself & I & Halo are beautiful songs , but that's not what she'll be remembered for , she'll be remember for , Naughty Girl , Deja Vu , Crazy In Love , Single Ladies ! and that's not bad because other female artists don't do these kind of songs !

Overly Long Post said...

Erykah has a point with that quote about image(and she also has a point in that other link about fans judging her personal life, "...CALL TYRONE … PACK LIGHT …. BITE ME." LMAO!!!) I think it can be applied to songs as well. For example, why do people seem to think that only ballads and overly serious lyrics can be considered classics? I'm not sure why people are refusing to believe there aren't uptempo or "fun" classics. "Sir Duke" "Rock Steady" "I Want Hold Your Hand" "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" anyone? Certainly "Crazy in Love", "Single Ladies", "Radio", and "Sweet Dreams" have a chance.

The only difference between a classic and a new song that you love is time. Will its reverance survive with it's current target audience into old age and influence further generations? There isn't more to it than that. Most classic artists seem to set up their place in more or less a decade and then wait patiently, perhaps releasing albums ranging from awful to ok to relatively good considering the competition among their fans, until the rock hall of fame induction. And like it or not Beyonce's already set her place. You know, unless Obama wins again in 2012 and has Keri Hilson(who by then has released 537 videos and has had 7 of them chart as hits) sing one of Aretha's classics for him and Michelle's dance("Who's Zoomin' Who" perhaps? Or maybe one of her pre-"Who's Zoomin Who" songs but who can tell the future?).

I guess from defending her uptempos, it can be assumed I'm digging the Sasha Fierce side. I love it! Lol. I think even B may be underrating it. She's doing some interesting stuff on that side. Say what you want about Video Phone's lyrics, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear her try an industrial beat. If a Beyonce meets Nine Inch Nails type of track isn't stretching artistically, what is? And there's "Hello" and "Scared of Lonely", which I think are extremely revealing lyrically, as revealing as the "I Am..." songs albeit with faster tempos. I think she's making a statement: Yeah Sasha is the fun side, but is still a part of me so realness is bound to creep in here too.

I don't feel particularly dumb for listening to Beyonce's music. I do when I turn on some kinds of reality tv, but that's my personal problem really. But I digress. In her interview on Ellen(11/25/08), the following was said:

B: "I know that when I was speaking with you during the commercial you really like "Flaws and All" & those type of songs I Iove to sing, more than the uptempos."
Ellen: "Really?"
B: "Yeah I do. So I was able to do what I really wanted to do but still give the fans what they want."

Personally, I think she's figured out a great balance. And whether people think she's compromised negatively or positively, it's her compromise to make.

Overly Long Post said...

And by Overly Long Post, I meant my comment, not the Beyonceitis post. Lol.

muzi said...

That there is the truth. So intelligent...

Rob said...

HALLELUJAH I FEEL THE SPIRIT! CHURCH IS IN SESSION!

Anonymous said...

OMG THAT WAS SIOO TRUE IT CHANGED MY MINE ABOUT A COUPLE SONG (DOESN'T INCLUDE RIHANNA AND HENRI HILSON THEY STILL SUCK) BUT A COUPLE SONGS THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO LISTEN BECAUSE I THOUGH THEY WERE FAKE AND ONCE AGAIN GREAT POST

Anonymous said...

@OVERLY,
my point too;like one said:she the only one who can make a real R'n'B up-tempo and non only a old remix.Beyoncé is not the best;but in beyonce land(beyoncé stans/fans heads) sure she is just like for any other artist !!

Sure beyoncé is known for her uptempos but she must do other thing she like;it's not easy,she does change style from album to album.she did the same thing for 10years with the DC(urban rnb) and i can understand this move;she can propose other things w/o a new haircut or image.

Others artits are known for fast songs like Shakira or Ballads like AKeys but there is no surprise at all.For both,it's always good songs but about the fure,in 12 years for example?

Anonymous said...

Never heard a critic on AK boring songs?why? ...and Shakira too!

Destiny's child is a girls band known for midtempo and fast songs,they sold 50 millions albums by 4 album and have awards..I can understand that it's a huge transition for her audience to see beyonce switch to pop ballad so easily.CIL is a old sog now,just let SL(PAROI) the time to has reputation.

Beyoncé biggest mistakes was,for the first album,to make videos only for the uptempo songs and now everybody think that she doesnt have worthy songs to sing at the inauguration,and Bday didnt help too.She need time,she really do !!

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!
my gift:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yO_8fmZ1w

THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION ..
YOU TOO BIG
TOO WIDE
TOO STRONG
TOO MUCH
TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE
WONT FIT
CAUSE YOUR JUST THE BEST QUEEN'S BLOG :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrIB42SDG6I

love me some Rihannasucks too :-p

Anonymous said...

@7:37pm thats nice to give a gift that doesnt exist anymore lol

Happy B'Day whenever it is

H.C said...

HAPPY B'DAY!!
I'm not sure if this is exactly ur b'day or not but I wanna thank you for this site & wish you all the best!!
I too have a gift for you, I just hope you haven't seen it yet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7tN1UmJ6Go&eurl

Anonymous said...

Her work just don't say so much, isn't meaningful and i don't mean "deep". Even Video-Phone would have a meaning if it had a point, a reason.

___________________

Oh believe me it has a point, to dumb down the audience.

Anonymous said...

We need an update on Ciara-yonce new video.

Anonymous said...

why????
Rihanna copies beyonce since day one and nobody says nothing.Just because she is the Queen's husband protegee dont give her the right to do that.
if we got a post for cici,we must have a post for her and anyone one else.Just because CICI is flopping make people lost respect for her ? :-(

Anonymous said...

i think her sasha songs are classic too even though she thinks only the i am side can be classic.
oprah and her entire audience danced to single ladies 2 days ago. lol
she just has the power to put people in a good and cheerful mood.

when i listen to save the hero it sounds like a song to cut your wrist to. lol even though its good i guess people aren't really trying to hear that from her

Anonymous said...

Stop we dont need a Ciara post! Its the dumb Beyonce Stans who make a big deal out of it when it is not! Then when Beyonce gets blamed for being unoriginal the stans bitch! Dont make a post about it let it go! Let us Beyonce fans set an example for Beyonce stans! because they need all the help they can get! either that or we can beat some sense into them! lol

~cool blog!

Anonymous said...

Stop we dont need a Ciara post! Its the dumb Beyonce Stans who make a big deal out of it when it is not! Then when Beyonce gets blamed for being unoriginal the stans bitch! Dont make a post about it let it go! Let us Beyonce fans set an example for Beyonce stans! because they need all the help they can get! either that or we can beat some sense into them! lol

~cool blog!

I thought It would be funny to make fun of CICI and her atempt to be Beyonce.

SO CHILL THE FUCK OUT.

What you dont understand is that I could care less about what stans or haters think.

If the writer did make a funny post about Super C. Your ass would be all over it talking about GREAT POST!

Your exit is coming up ,please veer to the left.

Lol.

Anonymous said...

why????
Rihanna copies beyonce since day one and nobody says nothing.Just because she is the Queen's husband protegee dont give her the right to do that.
if we got a post for cici,we must have a post for her and anyone one else.Just because CICI is flopping make people lost respect for her ? :-

Yeah we did, we been hating on RIRI since the start.

Anonymous said...

since what? you kiddin right? since that jacket she steals from crazy in love in her Pon de forehead video?

No,just after umbrella because jay-z was in it and cause she copies all the Green light video,just like this european girl Kalomira(secret combination)!

But where the haters at?

Anonymous said...

You do know she had hits like SOS and Unfaithful BEFORE Umbrella. Thats when I started comparing her to Beyonce. Not because she did a song with Jay-Z.

Rihanna got a way with copying Beyonce. I dont know if CICI will pull it off. I have all three of those girls CDS so there is no hate there.

Anonymous said...

Beyonce COULD do an album full of "Halos" or "Me, Myself, and I's" to quiet the critics (and her fans) who question her artistic integrity, but let's just be truthful, critical acclaim does NOT pay the bills

==============

Then whats the excuse for artist who actually do put integrity into their songs like Alicia Keys? Norah Jones? Lupe Fiasco?

Im pretty their not living in tents in your local park

Smart Ass said...

Beyonce COULD do an album full of "Halos" or "Me, Myself, and I's" to quiet the critics (and her fans) who question her artistic integrity, but let's just be truthful, critical acclaim does NOT pay the bills

==============

Then whats the excuse for artist who actually do put integrity into their songs like Alicia Keys? Norah Jones? Lupe Fiasco?

Im pretty their not living in tents in your local park

-------------------------

Soulja Boy has outsold Lupe Fiasco.

Britney Spears sells far more concert tickets than Alicia Keys.

And where the hell is Norah Jones.

It's not right or wrong that's just how it is.

Blogger said...

I have just downloaded iStripper, so I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.